While Viking range burners are renowned for their cooking power, issues common to all gas ranges can prevent them from lighting. Why are my Viking stove burners not igniting? In most cases, they’re in need of a thorough cleaning. Determine why your Viking gas range burners won’t light with these likely causes and solutions.
What to Do if Your Viking Gas Range Burners Won’t Light
Not all Viking burner issues require a professional repair. In many instances, regular maintenance and a simple DIY fix can solve the problem. Here’s how to troubleshoot the right solution when your Viking gas range burners won’t light.
Clean the Viking Range Burners
Knowing how to clean Viking range burners can solve most lighting issues. While you may wipe down the range after cooking, spills, grease, and food particles can accumulate unseen around burner parts. A buildup of this debris can block burner ports, preventing the gas from igniting. Regularly cleaning burner components with the following methods can also prevent lighting problems before they occur.
Use these Viking range cleaning tips to clean the burner caps and bases and the sealed burner top:
- Remove each cap by lifting it straight up.
- Scrub with hot, soapy water or bleach-free Soft Scrub cleanser and a blue Scotch-Brite pad.
- For stubborn stains, spray caps with Easy-Off oven cleaner and let sit for 1-2 hours. Wash with hot, soapy water.
- Allow caps to dry completely before replacing.
- Wash with hot, soapy water and a sponge or paper towel.
- For encrusted stains, soak the base with a hot towel to loosen debris.
- Use a wooden nylon spatula to scrape away stains. Refrain from using metal or abrasive cloths or cleaners that can scratch the surface.
Sealed Burner Top:
- Wipe down with hot, soapy water and a soft cloth or sponge.
- Apply bleach-free Soft Scrub cleanser to lingering stains and scrub with a blue Scotch-Brite pad. Scrub porcelain surfaces gently, as too much pressure can leave scratches.
Checking the Power & Gas Connections
How do you know if your range has a poor gas or electrical connection? If the control panel is off or you find your Viking oven not heating, it may not be receiving adequate gas or electricity. Even though you have a gas range, the igniter, control panel, and other components still require electrical power.
Here’s how to check gas and power connections when your Viking gas range burners won’t light:
- Assess the power cord: Make sure it’s plugged in correctly and is free from damage. Avoid using extension cords that can’t reliably transmit the voltage the range requires. This can lead to surges that interrupt power.
- Check your circuit breaker box: Look for tripped breakers, resetting any if necessary.
- Examine the gas connection: Make sure that your home’s gas line valve is turned on and the range is properly connected. A professional repair service should assess the connection if it’s incorrect.
Is There Moisture Around the Burners?
Range burners bear the brunt of cooking spills and splashes that can obstruct the igniter. Water and cleansers can also leave moisture behind that prevents it from sparking and lighting the gas.
If your Viking gas range burners won’t light after cooking or cleaning, allow more time for the moisture to evaporate. This enables the igniter to dry out and produce a spark. If you’re short on time, use a dry paper towel to gently pat the igniter before waiting 5-10 minutes for additional air drying.
Replace the Faulty Igniter
If your Viking gas range burners won’t light after trying these tips, it’s possible that the igniter is faulty. This vital component uses electrical power to open the range’s gas line, allowing gas to flow from your home supply. Next, it generates an electrical spark to light the gas. If the gas stove igniter won’t spark or open the gas line, the burner won’t light.
To determine if the igniter is faulty, observe it as it attempts to light the burner. If it doesn’t spark or takes longer than 30 seconds to light the gas, the igniter should be professionally replaced.
The experts at Same Day Service can perform any Viking range repair to restore its superior function. Call or schedule your appointment online today!