Keeping your appliances clean and properly maintained is the best way to keep them working efficiently and for a long time. But using harsh chemicals to clean them can be bad news for you and the environment. The good news is that there are natural cleaning methods for appliances that work just as well and won’t harm you or the planet.
Why Use Natural Cleaning Methods for Appliances?
Using natural cleaning methods is a safer and more eco-friendly way to keep your home clean. Harsh chemicals in conventional cleaning products can pose serious health risks like respiratory problems, skin irritation, and even cancer. In addition, these chemicals are harmful to the environment as they can pollute the air and water and damage wildlife and ecosystems. On the other hand, natural cleaning supplies are often cheaper and easier to use. You might even have some of these items in your pantry already! By choosing non-toxic cleaning methods, you’re not only protecting yourself and your family but also doing your part to take care of our planet.
Cleaning Your Microwave with Lemons
The acidity in lemon juice helps to break down stains and residue in your microwave, making it easier to wipe them away. Additionally, the natural oils in lemon juice can help to neutralize odors in your microwave, leaving it smelling fresh and clean.
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Microfiber cloth
- Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add about a cup of water to the bowl.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and run it on high for 5 minutes.
- Let the bowl sit in the microwave for a few minutes after the cycle is done.
- Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave.
- Wipe down the inside of the microwave with a microfiber cloth.
To keep your microwave clean, it’s important to wipe up spills and messes as soon as they happen. You can also place a paper towel or microwave-safe plate over your food to prevent it from splattering in the microwave.
Natural Cleaning Methods for Appliances: Clean Your Refrigerator with Vinegar
Cleaning your refrigerator with vinegar has several benefits. Firstly, vinegar is a natural and non-toxic cleaner that is safe for your family and the environment. It is also effective at removing stains, mold, and bacteria. The acetic acid in vinegar breaks down stains and residue, making them easier to wipe away.
- White vinegar
- Spray bottle
- Microfiber cloth
- Mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the inside of your refrigerator with the solution.
- Let the solution sit for a few minutes.
- Wipe down the inside of your refrigerator with a microfiber cloth.
- Rinse the cloth and wipe down the refrigerator again with just water.
- Dry the inside of the refrigerator with a clean microfiber cloth.
Bonus Tip: Use an open box of baking soda to absorb odors in your fridge. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer that can help neutralize unpleasant smells. Simply place an open box of baking soda on a shelf in your refrigerator and it will absorb odors for up to three months.
Cleaning Your Cooktop with Baking Soda
Baking soda is a natural abrasive that can help to remove stubborn stains and burned-on food from your cooktop. It also has deodorizing properties that can help to neutralize odors on your cooktop surface.
- Baking soda
- Microfiber cloth
- Scrub brush
- Sprinkle baking soda over the surface of your cooktop.
- Spray the baking soda with water until it forms a paste.
- Let the paste sit for a few minutes.
- Use a scrub brush to scrub the cooktop.
- Wipe away the paste with a microfiber cloth.
- Rinse the cloth and wipe down the cooktop with just water.
- Dry the cooktop with a clean microfiber cloth.
If you have a gas cooktop, it’s important to remove the grates and clean them regularly to prevent buildup. For more information on cleaning your cooktop, check out this guide.
If you have questions about natural cleaning methods for your appliances, give the appliance repair experts at Same Day Service Company a call. We’d be happy to help!