Maytag dishwashers are well known for being reliable workhorses, but when they stop working, it can be frustrating. There can be many causes of a Maytag dishwasher not starting, so it’s essential to diagnose the issue before getting into repair mode.
Is Your Maytag Dishwasher Not Starting? Try this…
Are you wondering, “How do you fix a Maytag dishwasher that won’t start?” Check these common Maytag dishwasher repair problems:
Step 1: Ensure the Dishwasher is Getting Power
If your Maytag dishwasher not starting has become an issue, first ensure the dishwasher is plugged in and receiving power. Maytag dishwashers have an electric cord, so if there were a malfunction with the outlet or breaker box, it wouldn’t be able to spin its wash arms, much less get started. If your dishwasher is plugged in but still not working, you must move on to other possible causes.
Step 2: Check the Dishwasher Water Supply
A Maytag dishwasher not starting could be due to no or low water supply. Verify that your home’s water supply is on. If the water supply is on but you suspect that the dishwasher isn’t receiving water, the water inlet valve may be to blame. In this case, please contact a Maytag dishwasher technician for assistance. Testing the water inlet valve should be left to a professional so you don’t end up with a dishwasher leaking or a flooded home.
Step 3: Ensure the Correct Dishwasher Cycle Settings Are Selected
Your Maytag dishwasher won’t start unless you select the correct wash cycle first. Select the proper function and press the START/RESUME button on the control panel. If it still doesn’t work, check that you haven’t selected one of the three functions that will prevent the dishwasher from starting:
- Control Lock: If the control lock is engaged, it won’t start. Make sure the red switch on the left side of the control panel is not engaged. Ensure the Maytag dishwasher child lock is also not engaged.
- Drying Cycle: The drying cycle is only available if you selected a heating option with your wash cycle (iQdrive models only). If this function is selected and pressed, it will prevent the dishwasher from starting. Make sure the green switch on the left side of the control panel is not engaged.
- Sleep Mode: If this function is accidentally engaged, the dishwasher won’t start. Make sure the blue switch on the left side of the control panel is not engaged.
- Delayed Start: This function allows you to set the dishwasher for a delayed start. This can be set up to 24 hours in advance. If you have selected this function, it will be why your Maytag dishwasher is not starting. Make sure the gray switch on the left side of the control panel is not engaged.
Step 4: Check to Ensure the Dishwasher Door Is Latched Properly
Most Maytag dishwashers have an electronic control system that includes the dishwasher door latch. If the door is open or not perfectly latched, it can cause an error to go off, preventing your unit from starting up.
For newer models, check the door latch light on the display panel. If it’s red or flashing, your door is open, preventing the unit from starting up.
Step 5: Check the Maytag dishwasher display
If your Maytag dishwasher display is not working, you won’t be able to use the timer functions on the control panel. If your Maytag dishwasher display not working is causing a problem, you will need to reset your dishwasher:
- Close and latch the door
- Press and hold both CANCEL and START/RESUME together for at least three seconds.
- Let go of both buttons.
- The display should clear, and your Maytag dishwasher should be ready to start.
Can’t figure out the problem? Call a Maytag Dishwasher Repair Technician
If these steps don’t resolve the issue and your Maytag dishwasher not starting remains a problem, you will need to call a Maytag repair specialist for a diagnosis. Give Same Day Service Company a call. Our technicians will diagnose your unit and get it up and running fast.